Charlie Thomas concentrates his practice on civil litigation, with a specific emphasis on business litigation, insurance litigation, bicycle-related personal injury, and products liability. Charlie represents large institutional clients, small businesses, and individuals, and serves as the Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi counsel for Bikelaw.com. He currently has an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest level of professional excellence. Charlie may be contacted at 504-274-2500 or Charlie@HuberSlack.com.
- Represents numerous claimants for lost profits and land remediation against British Petroleum, Transocean, and other defendants arising out of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, ranging from individual claimants to companies with billion dollar revenues.
- Represents an air charter business for lost profits through the Federal Tort Claims Act after a military helicopter totaled its charter aircraft.
- Represents the owner of a regional company in a suit involving tortious interference claims and claims arising out of the Louisiana Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Represents an angel investor in a dispute over a fracking project in Texas.
- Represents a developer against a general contractor in a commercial construction dispute.
- Represents litigants in the Mirena IUD Multidistrict Litigation (MDL 2434).
- Represents litigants in the DePuy Multidistrict Litigation (MDL 2197).
- Represents a regional business in a suit to recover the value of the business as a result of defamation.
- Represents the principal of an energy exploration and production company in its business pursuits.
- Represented the family of a murder-suicide against liable defendants.
- Represented investors to recovery funds that were lost in a failed real estate project.
- Represented a young surgeon who suffered horrific injuries when struck on his bicycle by a distracted motorist.
- Represented the developer of an El Salvadoran power plant who lost his ownership in the project through a fraudulent scheme involving his business partners and attorneys.
- Represented the surviving husband over his wife’s death at a railroad crossing.
- Represented a child who lost a body part after a big-box retailer defectively assembled the brakes on his bicycle.
- Represented numerous local businesses and individuals who suffered property damage as a result of hurricanes, tornadoes, storms, and floods through bad faith insurance litigation.
Charlie earned his Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Civil Law from Louisiana State University’s Paul M. Hebert Law Center, where he served as president of the Moot Court Board and won the prestigious Louisiana State University Flory Trial Competition. Additionally, Charlie competed in the national Trial Advocate Competition and the American Association for Justice Trial Competition.
Charlie earned his B.B.A. in Business Management from Texas A&M University’s Mays College of Business. While at Texas A&M, he was president of the Texas A&M Cycling Team and led the team in appearances in the U.S. Collegiate National Championships.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
Charlie is admitted to the bars of Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi and is licensed to practice before the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, and all Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi state courts. He is a member of the Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, American and Federal Bar Associations, the Louisiana, Mississippi, and American Associations for Justice, and also the Young Leadership Council of New Orleans. Charlie is also the Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi delegate for Bikelaw.com, which is a national group dedicated to advocating for the rights of cyclists. Furthermore, Charlie is a League Cycling Instructor and serves on the Board of Bike Easy.
Charlie lives in Uptown New Orleans with his wife, Jenny, and their daughter.